Please consult the list below for answers to frequently asked questions - they are actually frequently asked :-) - and let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question that is not currently listed.
- I tried to send a document of for conversion but I got nothing back. What's wrong?
- How long is the average turn-around time for conversion using SensusAccess?
- Is there a limit to how big files you can upload to the service?
- My file is too big for SensusAccess. What do I do?
- Does SensusAccess convert from language to language?
- Can I submit an MP3 file and get a textual document back?
- Can I send multiple documents to the SensusAccess Service at the same time?
- How is the privacy of the user protected using SensusAccess?
- What happens with documents after they are processed with SensusAccess?
- Is it possible to list multiple emails addresses in Step 4?
- SensusAccess' headquarters are in Denmark – how fast can I expect a reply from Tech Support?
- How can SensusAccess be used to create documents tagged PDF?
- Which browsers are supported by SensusAccess?
- I'm trying to upload a document, but cannot get beyond step 1. What is wrong?
Several things may have gone wrong. The most likely is that you made a typo when you entered your email address. In that case, please resubmit your document and make sure that you type your email correct. The second most likely cause of lack of response is that the return mail from SensusAccess got caught in a spam filter on its way to you. If you cannot find the file in your own junk-mail folder, you may want to contact your IT department to make sure that the sensusaccess.com and robobraille.org domains are both whitelisted.
The turn-around time ranges between a few minutes and a few hours depending on the size and type of your source document and the requested conversion. Smaller documents are processed within minutes. Large documents - for example textbooks in image-only PDF - may take several hours to convert into a Microsoft Word document or MP3 audio file.
Yes. The file size is limited to approx. 50 MB. If your document is bigger than that you may want to divide it into smaller sections. You may also want to consider whether you have scanned the document in a very high resolution.
Some image files are too big for the web interface to SensusAccess to handle. However, you are welcome to store image files on a cloud service (Google drive, Dropbox, WeTransfer or similar) and mail a link to the files to email@example.com. Please do not attempt to mail the documents as attachments. Sensus will then convert the documents to DOC, DOCX and RTF format and return them to you. Please note that Sensus will not be editing the documents nor adding any markup beyond what our automated OCR server is capable of. This service is provided as a courtesy to our clients without a guaranteed turn-around time.
No. SensusAccess does not currently support language-to-language translation, although this is an option we are considering for the future as translation software matures and improves in quality.
No. SensusAccess does not currently support voice recognition from audio files, although this is an option we are considering for the future as voice recognition software matures and improves in quality.
Yes, you can submit multiple files for conversion with a single request. All files must be of the same file type. All files will be converted to the same target format.
The SensusAccess workflow is entirely automated and no humans are involved in the conversion process. Documents and conversion requests can be uploaded on encrypted connections and once a conversion is completed, all traces of it are deleted save for a few anonymous detalis used by Sensus for statistical purposes. Note, however, that individual academic institutions may decide to keep records of submitted conversion requests that may be used to identify the user. Please consult your local Disability Service Office for details of such practice if you are concerned with your privacy.
Documents submitted for conversion by SensusAccess are deleted immediately after the conversion has been completed.
No, you can only specify one email address as the recipient of the result of a conversion. However, the email address may be set up on your mail server as a distribution list if several people are to receive copies.
The SensusAccess conversion engine as well as the support account are monitored around the clock. You should expect to hear back from Sensus Tech Support no later than 8 hours after submitting your request, and in most cases much faster than that.
- Word and PowerPoint to tagged PDF. In this case, the semantic structure of the source documents are used to create the document structure in tagged PDF document. This feature is especially useful for Mac users using Office for Mac, as this does not support creation of tagged PDF. However, it is also useful for users on other platforms. Accessibility features in the source document (semantic structure, alternative texts etc.) are retained in the resulting tagged PDF document.
- Untagged PDF to tagged PDF: SensusAccess always assumes that a submitted PDF document is untagged and uses its OCR engine to recognise the text, identify images and other elements, and reproduce the reading order of the document. The quality of the tagged PDF depends highly on the quality of the incoming document.
- Image file (TIFF, GIF, JPG, BMP etc) to tagged PDF. The process is similar to the one described for Untagged PDF to tagged PDF. The OCR engine is used to recognise the text, identify images and other elements, and reproduce the reading order of the document. The quality of the tagged PDF depends highly on the quality of the incoming document.
SensusAccess can be used with all modern browsers. There are known issues with older versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer; these can be overcome by adding the SensusAccess web form to the list of sites to be run in compatibility mode. Please report any browser compatibility issues encountered with SensusAccess to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SensusAccess form maintains a set of settings of the current session. However, these settings - such as the language selection - times out after about 20 minutes. If you experience that you do not seem to be able to get beyond step 1, merely reload the form in the browser and/or press one of the flags in the banner.